Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Okay so maybe its not possible to physiologically die from boredom. But I may turn out to be an exception to this law of physics. How do American kids spend their summer vacations? I mean, not those who go on holidays or sign up for internships or take summer jobs. But American kids who literally do nothing but sit their asses on the computer chair? How interesting can the Internet get after 5 hours?

I'm already feeling the effects of unhealthy non-movement after an hour of sitting on the chair.I read somewhere that the human body is meant for movement and action. And not for dry monotonous inactivity.

I've taken a hiatus from baking, which may very well be permanent, due to the fact that desserts do nothing for my waistline. Unless I find a recipe that's doesn't make me feel so guilty, something which I highly doubt. And yes, I've heard that old mantra of "eating in moderation" and all the jazzy crap. But that doesn't work for me. The bottom line is, it works for others, but not for me. So right now, the oven has become a modicum of reheating and baking thawed goods from the freezer that my mum needs whenever she cooks. Like baking the chicken strips or reheating a bun or whatever.

And I've once again, unsuccessfully tried to persuade my mum to not go for my graduation. My parents had a slight disagreement about them coming in the first place, because my dad mentioned that he'll be busy, but my mum pulled an Adolf Hitler and started saying stuff about being unfair to me because why can't he make time to see my walk up the stage and get my diploma if he willingly went for his eldest daughter's graduation? I think my mum might have also threatened him with Guantanamo.

I'm so mentally unsound. Kids would DIE for their parents to come to see them receive their diplomas and here I am, begging God to grant me a much needed divine intervention to keep mine from coming to my graduation. The reasons for said reluctance include embarrassment and discomfort. THe first thing that's going to happen is that my mum will criticize whatever outfit I'm wearing. Pardon my French, but I am 20 fucking years old and I should be allowed to wear whatvever I want. I mean come on I'm not 10 years old anymore.

I feel trapped under my mother's reign sometimes. I mean I'm allowed to stay out late and do a lot of other things. But when it comes to clothes and books and makeup and shoes and whatever, she's keeping me under a pretty tight leash and I must say I'm starting to resent it.

Okay. Work stuff.

Finally agreed to get my supervisor to assign me to work at the bakery for once, which came at a slightly hefty price. I had to report at 8.30am, which is a huge turn off. Its rather fun working at the bakery. Like breathing in the smells of the baked goodies and drooling over the smell. The two bakers on duty yesterday were on a very tight and rushed schedule yesterday so I helped them. Not with the baking, but like adding the final touches. Like taking the baguettes out the oven for them, helping to sprinkle pistachio over the finished tarts and danishes and spreading flour on the cold table for them. One of the bakers, the one who speaks English says dough should be worked with and handled on cold surfaces because in his experience, the dough retains its shape better when its cold and locks in the moisture that gives Bakerzin bread that nice soft moist texture. Then he went to tell me he uses imported flour from France and Japan so chances of me reproducing a similar bun are pretty much pooped, but he went to say I could always try, though he refused to give me the recipe. Something about a clause that he signed saying he can't reveal company secrets or he'll get his ass kicked.

Though I did see how they knead and shape the dough. Its all good fun knowing that a small piece of dough and and bake and rise to form a croissant that's twice the size of the dough that they kneaded and tossed into their huge oven. If you ever drop by Bakerzin's bakery at Maju Avenue, you need to get the Cranberry Cream Cheese with Walnut Bun and Bamboo Charcoal Custard Bun. They are the BEST ever.

Made some terribly embarrassing mistakes yesterday. Like giving the wrong change or worse, forgetting to give the customers' their change. A customer proceeded to pay by NETs and I stared at the card for a full 10 seconds like it was some sort of a strange peculiar underwater animal, before slowly raising my head and with a sheepish grin, asked him what this card was. When he said NETs, my heart gave a triple beat, because I had no idea how to process a NETs payment.

Thank God my other supervisor is incredibly sweet and friendly and she helped me out of these very embarrassing spots. She sees optimism in eery situation. Like yesterday when we were stacking the breads, she was telling me how she's desperate to find a new apartment to stay in because her flatmate told her that she'd be moving out and that they'd have to vacate the flat by end of this week, because she's not allowed to rent a flat by her lonesome. Then she started joking about sleeping on the streets and helping Bakerzin to sell bread whilst on the sidewalks. I said I'd help her look into some flats because my mum's friend a real estate agent and might be able to help her with it.

On a random note. I'm obsessively spritzing the Victoria Secrets' Vanilla Lace Refresing Body Mist that I go for my birthday from SY on myself every 10 minutes. My mum keeps saying my room smells like sweets and honey. I'm sorry but vanilla is the most delicious scent in the universe and I will not rest until I have created a vanilla cake that not only tastes like vanilla, but also smells like vanilla. Speaking of cakes, I just read in old an issue of Her World magazine that the secret to baking excellent and tasty cakes, is butter.

That's right. Soft, creamy and smooth butter. Butter substitutes simply don't provide the same taste and texture as using authentic butter. I'm all for eating excellent cakes that's soft and dense and beautiful, but if you look at a lot of cake recipes, you'll find that these bakers use so much butter that it's enough to make your heart stop. Definetly against my goal of healthy eating and weight loss. I just scuffed Oreo fillings, but without the biscuit. LAH DEE DAH.

Gelato/yogurt at SY's workplace next Monday. Been a while since I had gelato. Maybe I'll have yogurt instead. I've developed a fascination to look for the best frozen yogurt so far. Berrylite does some excellent flavors. Sometimes after work I'd head to Berrylite at the basement. The original flavor isn't that good, but they come in these awesome flavors (or at least what I've seen so far), like Red Velvet, Strawberry, Mint, Banana(for some strange reason), Pistachio, Blueberry and Milo. My favourite so far is a mix of Red Velvet and Strawberry. The strawberry flavor makes the red velvet taste less sweet. Then I top it off with chopped almond slices.

Bellisimo.

NOOOOOOO STEVE JUST GOT ARRESTED BY TRAITOROUS CHIN HO KELLY. My life has just crumbled. I know I've been saying that for 2 weeks now ever since I saw the season finale, but I'm still in an utter state of shock.

Oh in case you're wondering. I'm watching Hawaii 5-0. LAH DEE LAH.

Dance tonight. I'm contemplating Gin's class. Should I go? All, and I mean, all the dancers that go to her class are like, the elite. Aaaargh. I've been going to Fredy's classes for so long, and I wanna break out of this "comfort zone" and try something new. No pain no gain people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.