Am reading David Baldacci's Absolute Power now, about a professional burlgar who witnesses a murder whilst in the middle of a burglary and is now on the run from the President and his pack of Secret Service agents.
Anyhow, I went to the Scholarship and Top University Fair at Suntec City. It featured lots of booths from the different Ivy Leagues, mostly from the Americas and a handful from Germany and the UK manned mostly by local Singaporean students who went to these universities and are here to promote their schools. They were accompanied by a smattering of Caucasian students and I noticed that these Caucasians were not only all male, but also good looking as well. It's a marketing ploy for sure. But a very good one.
I developed an oddly jealous feeling at the mere sight of these lucky Singaporeans who have gone abroad to study, because they receive the education of a lifetime and meet so many people from different racial and cultural backgrounds. It seems like a cruel joke when I look back at my dreams and aspirations, one of which was to study as an undergraduate in Stanford University. That dreams seems so laughable and silly now. It just makes me wonder if I ever will achieve my dream of going to the Americas to study and/or work.
Was looking through my drawer after completing Good Wives when I came across my old treasure box that I kept from childhood. Its basically an old metal box where I stashed secret notes that were passed during classes and birthday and holiday cards and friends - back when we didn't have handphones whatsoever - and other paraphernalia acquired through the years, for instance:
- a scrap of paper that has Daniel Ong's - the ex deejay turned events organizer whom I served Waffle Ice Cream at Bakerzin last month - autograph on it from days of the first Singapore Idol, which must have been in 2004.
- ticket stubs to the Lord of the Rings Exhibition in 2004
- neoprints from my secondary school days (dammit I look fat)
- a black and white photo of myself when I was 6 years old
- a pair of red g-string that 2 friends gave to me as a birthday gift (i hid the scandalizing article in my drawer because my mother will pass out if she ever sees her daughter with sexy underwear such as this)
- a whole stash of notes that were passed during my primary school days, ranging from topics such as get-togethers at houses, boys and gossip
- christmas cards from my primary school friends
- a letter written by a primary school friend who had a crush on me
- my very priceless and irreplacable birthday cards that I receive from my grandma in London every year since I was 6 years old.
- an Iraqi banknote of 250 dinars that I got from my tuition teacher (you can't get this type of money here in Singapore, unless you go to Iraq because no one here travels to Iraq anymore.
- a handsewn ragdoll of Aragorn that I received a a birthday gift 4 years ago. Thanks Dan!
I also discovered a letter that I wrote 8 years ago. Its a handwritten letter, written by my then 12-year-old self, accompanied with a picture of myself and a newspaper cut out picture of Emma Watson. Apparently I had written fan mail to her, but never did send it because I didn't have Emma Watson'a address:
"TO: MISS EMMA WATSON!!!
FROM: Serene...A fan of "Hermione Granger & Emma Watson =-D
To: Miss Emma Watson,
my name is Serene Juan from SIngapore. I am 12 years old and a really great fan of Harry Potter. I saw Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on 19 November and it was totally awesome!!! You acted really great. Actually, I wanted to write this letter 2 U because I just HAD 2 comment U on your talent of acting. You were scintillating & outstanding. I'm looking forward to see Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban. When Mr Daniel Radcliffe who acted as Harry Potter hugged U & Hagrid, it moved my heart, and I nearly cried. Also, I think that your tips 4 writing 2 other actors and actresss R totally cool. They reall taught me quite a lot. Thank You! =D Well it has been indeed a great euphoria writing 2 U. I've 2 go have my lunch now.
Bye Bye.
(P.S. May I have an autograph from U please? If you R willin 2, please sign in on the picture of U cause that is my favorite. Also, there is a photo of me when I was 9. I don't have a photo of my when I'm 12! Also, hope that the other envelope 4 U 2 reply is not tatty!!!! I hope it isn't)
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!
From a fan of you, Serene Juan"
Okay, I've got a question: what the fuck does scintillating mean? It seems I developed grandiose ideas of superiority at such a young age, judging by how I had used big fancy words in an attempt to please people. I must have been an ass-kisser. Seriously. It amuses me to see how my language has developed throughout the years. I laughed out loud as I read how I had to go and have lunch. Such memories.
If my apartment were burning and I could only save one item, I'd save this treasure box because all these cherished memories collected over the years are worth much more to me than a book.
Okay so maybe I could fit a book in my treasure box as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.