Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Cupboard Full of Memories with a Sprinkle of Modern Spices




It's amazing to see what you can come up with when you raid through your cupboard, hoping to clear it out before the New Year starts. Like a fengshui thing. I think I sort of believe in that, in a sense that if you keep all the clutter there, then the bad luck is brought into the New Year, which doesn't really bode well; and if you clear up all that crap, then it'll usher in good luck.

Oh my God my Chinese roots are acting up.

Anyway, I was going through my cupboard in the attempt to look for something and I came across a lot of old but forgotten memories. It's funny how you store certain items in deep dark places because it sort of carries a significance yet it was seemingly painful when it occurred years ago, but as you look it now, you think back of what took place and you chuckle about it

1) I found a 20 page article given to me by my English teacher in secondary 2. She gave it to me after my English oral examination, during which I spoke freely about how I don't go to church because I don't believe in what Man says about God, but I'd rather choose to worship God and Jesus in the sanctuary of my inner self. Unfortunately, my English teacher was a devout Christian and little did I know that she actually took my words seriously, went home and photocopied a bunch of stuff about Christianity and told me to read it and all. I was pretty shocked though, because I figured it was just light conversation during an oral exam. The article is called The Uniqueness of Christ and the Cult of Mary, taken from a book of which she owns called "The Doctrine of God". She even wrote little footnotes about some excerpts. I attempted to read it, but it was pretty heavy reading. Very serious. The funny thing is that Dan Brown might have been able to indoctrinate the same things within a fiction novel and make it sound interesting, rather than reading it from a non-fiction perspective. Maybe I'll have Shoe read it and analyze it for me and see what she thinks (:

2) Found envelopes full of Christmas and birthday cards from primary school friends and my Grandma from London and through the piles of them, I extracted a birthday card from my Granddad - from London - of which I forgotten. At the same time, I was hearing the soundtrack to Transformers and the music was so..sombre and it made me think of how I have yet to see my Granddad face to face and talk to him about forgotten and painful pasts and shared griefs. He sent a Literature guide book along with that. He called me sometime before my birthday and he asked what I'd like for a present so, without thinking I asked him for Literature guide book, because I was taking Pure Literature and was hoping for a guidebook I could peruse. And to my surprise, he bought one - all the way from London - and mailed to me, along with some money in the card! I was taken aback!

I honestly wonder how my Granddad looks like now, I mean, my aunt sent me a picture of him a few years back, but it got lost and I can't find it. My Grandma told me that he was a handsome soldier when he was young. I'm still hoping to see how he looked, and looks like. I remember writing letters to him once a week, telling him about the going-ons in my life and at the end of every letter I'd ask why he didn't reply. Finally, after a few months I received a call from a man with a British accent, who identified himself as Granddad! I almost fell out of my chair when I comprehended what was going on, because finally after all these months he acknowledged my attempts to contact him, with a phone call. He explained his refusal to reply my letters because he confessed that he did not know what to say to the grandchild he had who had even bothered to find him. I detected a sombre note in his voice and felt sad for a while, because I could feel his embarrassment and shame. We shared a few things together about our likes and dislikes and stuff, and also how he confesses that he doesn't expect my mother to forgive him after abandoning my grandma for another woman. Nevertheless, he texts her once in a while but she never calls him. Don't know why, but maybe because it's like touching a raw nerve for her.

3) Among the pile of rubbish I unearthed an entire box of classroom notes written in primary school between me and my best friend, along with some friends, while we were bored. It's quite funny reading it now because the language was so immature and yet it's hilarious to think about the things we gossiped about. Found a few notes Jia Li as well, along with a Friendship Day note. And also a letter from a boy in Primary 6 who had a crush on me! Apparently he sent me a letter after we graduated from primary school and asked that we keep in touch. He's in London now, studying Law and he's doing well I suppose. Again, its funny when I think of how I attempted to avoid talking to him which was almost impossible because he sat next to me in class. Miss those days.

My cupboard is like a breakup box. All the junk that I didn't want after going through rough patches all stored in there and lying dormant.

Mum and the siblings just got back from Sentosa this morning. Mum bought my sis and I an awesome Guess wallet! It's long and black and totally sleek! I can't bear to use it, because it's new and I'm notorious for using stuff until they fall apart and I don't want my nice new Guess wallet to fall apart. Mum got it from Tangs at VivoCity, because they were having a 20% discount. Typical mum.

Currently listening to the soundtrack for Transformers. It's so awesome! Loving it much! I like the scene where Scorponok shoot out from the bed of sand in the village where the Special Ops soldiers ran for cover and engaged in battle, along with an alliance with the Arab men there - and fought valiantly to kill said alien robot. Captain William Lennox is so darn gorgeous and handsome! I quote Mikaela " I have a thing for hot guys with tight arms and big arms", only that I don't like the big arms part because it looks wrong if pumped up too much.

Speaking of Mikaela, I was looking at a list of names and concluded that list of my some of my favourite girls' names:

- Mikaela
- Megan
- Denise
- Caroline
- Katee / Katie
- Katherine
- Allison
- Nicolette


And the guys':
- Scott
- Logan
- Christopher
- James
- Ian
- Sean
- Jake
- Carter
- Edward
- Andrew
- Nicholas

Awesome much. They're so...causal American names. Except for names like Caroline, Andrew, Nicholas and Katherine because they're English names.

Oh my God I just found out that Hugo Weaving voices Megatron! I know Hugo Weaving who famously plays Lord Elrond in the Lord of the Rings! And how come Tyrese Gibson looks better in Revenge of the Fallen than in Transformers? Plus, Megan Fox apparently lost weight prior to the shooting of Revenge of the Fallen, so director Michael Bay made her eat cake and so that her figured looked better, for three weeks & over 1.25 million feet, or 381000m of film was used to shoot ROTF! Awesome much.

I should watch The Lord of the Rings again one day. A classic movie everyone should watch. Just like Transformers and King Kong! And Terminator: Salvation and all the Disney classics!
Intended to watch Avatar today, but Jess, Nette and Shoe have stuff on so I intend to go to City Hall for a bit and window shop and get some stuff as planned.


Have finished reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown and again, its amazing and masterpiece. I love the way he crafts his words. And OH GOSH I'm SO loving the score track "You're a Soldier Now", "Autobots" & "Scorponok" to Transformers!
GO LISTEN TO IT. It has an "epic" feel to it. I'm going to buy S & J's present later! Cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.