Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Success! I have finally (and hopefully) finished editing my pictures for my experiment. Its about time, because the Adobe Photoshop trial run expires today. I'm so proud of myself, even if I do say so myself, because do you have any idea, how long it takes to Photoshop pictures of people? How do these photo editors of Vogue do it? How? And now I completely know why people develop body image issues. Photoshop is a sneaky little thing. 

Anyhow, I'm sneaking in a post before going to the gym for a run on the treadmill, instead of on the elliptical machine for a change, while my iPhone is charging so I can watch movies while running. 

I watched The Rainmaker today and it is so brilliantly good. Its based on John Grishmam's book with the same title, which stars Matt Damon as a rookie lawyer who takes on the case of a young man dying from leukemia who could have received a bone marrow transplant, if not for the insurance company that refused to cover the cost of his entire treatments, and so Damon finds himself trying to bring down one of the largest insurance corporations in the U.S with the help of Danny DeVito, his assistant as they fight tooth and nail to uncover skeletons and get detect loopholes and inconsistencies in the company's claims. Granted, its all fictional, but its really does reflect the reality of the mechanics of insurance companies in the real world and how unreliable some of them can get. Bloody fat American cats ripping citizens off, especially minority citizens. 

I've also re-read the following books: Green Zone, Imperial Life in the Emerald City, by R. Chandransekaran, a nonfiction book that describes George Bush's attempts to build democracy in a war-torn Middle East during the Iraq war 8 years ago and the unintended consequences of it, as well as The Fall of Baghdad, by Jon Lee Anderson, another nonfiction book that reports the lives of the Iraqis during Saddam's regime.

I find it sad how governments and presidents see the need for war. So much devastation and loss. And the rising number of rape cases, not just in New Delhi, but around the world, especially in the Middle East and Africa where women are cruelly underrepresented and silenced with a veil. 

I weep for humanity.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.