The first day went by in such a blur. I was too nervous and excited to sleep, even going so far as to head down to 7-11 to buy bread and milk. I managed only about 2 hours of sleep before waking at 6am. The entire flight to L.A took almost 20 hours. My dad and I first took an 8 hour flight to Tokyo and my plane companions were these 2 Australian guys, John and Kendall from Perth who are professional frisbee players. They're so jovial and friendly. I sat next to John and he kept offering me his stock of chocolate. He reminds me strongly of Professor Neil, my internship supervisor in Aussie, because he's just so...fatherly-like and reminds me of a cowboy, like he belongs on a ranch tending to horses instead of tossing frisbees in the air. We didn't speak much throughout the flight, since they both watched their own videos on their iPads, except for when they need to walk to use the bathroom or when I tell them to give me a shove when they need to use it and I happen to be asleep, because I was sitting on the aisle seat.
By the way, I sat in the AirBus, the double decker plane. All I can is thank God I can watch movies and listen to music inflight because it was such a long and boring flight. I bought a magazine, but I felt too sleepy to read it, but I couldn't fall asleep because of the double crossing of time zones.
The meals were pretty all right. Lunch on the way to Tokyo was roasted pork.
I found these amazing Kit Kats in green tea and dark chocolate that were absolutely delicious, as well as these green tea flavored sweets that are so succulent. There was a blueberry cheesecake flavor too, but I didn't get it because it didn't come in single servings, and I wasn't entirely sure whether food could be brought into the States in my carry-ons; I didn't exactly want to risk my chocolate getting confiscated! My fears would be disconfirmed anyway.
The flight to L.A was equally mentally exhausting. Dinner was Japanese food: chicken with teriyaki sauce, soba noodles, steamed rice, shrimp and a Japanese cracker. Sounds like a lot, but I was famished.
Arrived in L.A at 2pm local time on Sunday. Traveling to the States is one of the ways that you can actually go back in time because its 15 hour behind. Our luggages were delayed for about a half hour and I was on the verge of a panic attack because luggages get lost in LAX and I can't not have any clothes here in L.A!
Passing through the checkpoints was all right, except for when I was at the immigration counter and the immigration officer started asking me questions, such as my age, my parents' occupation, so on and so forth. I know its a security measure, but it was the matter of fact way that made me nervous. I watch Airline USA. I know what happens. Passengers get nervous because the American officials are authoritative and they start stuttering and fumbling and arousing the suspicion of the officials and end up being victims of heuristic judgments. I only relaxed fully when she asked if I was nervous and I started blurting out how anxious I was here because of the multiple checkpoints and the strict rules and the stories my dad told me about American airports.
I think she understood.
So my dad and I had planned to take the Super Shuttle to the apartment, but the sight of our gargantuan luggages motivated my dad to take a taxi. The taxi far cost US$41. My dad gave US$50, including tips. Taxi fares here are a nightmare. I couldn't really enjoy the sights outside the taxi because I felt so car-sick.
What can I say? L.A is a great city, at least in Westwood Village where I'm living. The Westwood area is a university city so its pretty safe, though I'm not too sure about other areas. Shall begin exploring on Thursday or the weekend.
The weather is strange. The sun is blisteringly strong, but its actually rather cold and I didn't bring any jacket whatsoever, and I packed sundresses and shorts! I was told that it'll start to get hot in July, so fingers crossed.
Am currently living in Margan Apartments, which is about a 15 to 20 minute walk from the edge of the campus. The students who went to UCLA last year were right. Walking distance in America and walking distance in Singapore is completely different. At home, walking distance means less than 15 minutes. Here, 15 to 20 minutes is considered perfectly normal. But the walks do me good because I have yet to find the gym on campus; the sun is too bright to run outside and at night, its too cold, and also because I love walking throughout the campus. The campus is utterly spectacular and phenomenal. Gothic architectures and flowers blooming left and right. Its like I've been transported to the Middle Ages.
People on campus, and in the Westwood area are so friendly, just like in Aussie. They'll strike up conversations with you in random places and they'll ask how you are because they really do want to know how you are even though you're a stranger. Its funny how I adapt to these social circumstances. In Singapore, I don't socialize like this but when I'm here, I find myself just talking to strangers when we're together or striking up small talk without hesitation whatsoever.
More tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.