Stayed up Wednesday night, well into the wee hours of 3am just to finish reading Dreams of Joy. What a beautiful perfect ending to a story set in such tumultuous times. While I'm not familiar with the Cultural Revolution of China, Lisa See was so skilled in bringing to life the pain and suffering of the Chinese who survived the Cultural Revolution under the rule of Mao Tse Tung. It's such an awakening because I've always seen Mao as a historic prominent figure who was well respected because he did something heroic for his country. Yet the intimate details of the Cultural Revolution in Dreams of Joy, and how it affected the lives of the villagers has now thwarted my opinion of him, making me realize that what Mao did for his country served to benefit only the wealthy Chinese, leaving the commoners to wallow and die in pity and hunger.The suffering of the Chinese proletariats went unnoticed by the global masses; trading babies for food in times of starvation, burying their young children alive to reduce the number of mouths to food, killing their babies and selling them as rabbit meat to earn a precious dollar and living in decrepit conditions.
Am now on the hunt for a new book to get for the 20 hour plane ride to L.A. I decided that I want something edgy, like Dan Brown. I need something to keep me engrossed for the entire day. Thrillers, political espionage, conspiracies, intricate descriptions with a heady plots. Recommendations anyone?
I foresee a long day in Kinokuniya tomorrow at the crime section, sifting through the wide expanse of books and searching for a suitable one.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.