Sunday, June 12, 2011

book lovers never go to bed alone



All right that is it. No more books. I mean honestly, what kind of a 20 year old girl reads children's books, for God's sake. Sweet Valley Junior High, Mary Kate and Ashley Sweet Sixten and Two of a Kind series are only targeted towards 7 to 12 year old girls, not those who are on the brink of adulthood and are expected to read serious books. Something has just got to give.



But I do read serious books! But I also happen to like reading these children's books that I loved tremendously when I was litte, including The New Adventures of Mary Kate & Ashley. Of course I remember my bookshelf (then), crammed with nothing but books about Mary Kate & Ashley, and Sweet Valley, and Roald Dahl.

Besides, these children's fiction makes me so relaxed and nostalgic. Aren't relaxation and nostalgia good for the mind, body and spirit? The mother is never pleased with the types of books I read. She thinks I never read serious books, but I do! For instance, I've a prediliction for subjects such as America's futile efforts to rehabilitate post-war Iraq, and of the plight of Middle Eastern women and the tight leash that the males of countries like Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan tie around their necks. I love reading memoirs and biographies. I wonder where I got my book loving gene from. Definetely not from the mother. My dad I suppose, but he's probably cracked a children's book in his life. His cupboard is crammed with books on subjects ranging from marketing and advertising to politics. But there is not one fiction book in there at all. Where is Dan Brown may I ask? Or Clive Cussler or Vince Flynn? Does my dad not possess an ounce of interest in the beauty of fictionalism?

I read the Mary Kate and Ashley books that I had last night and it just brought back these beautiful waves of nostalgia. Sort of like reliving my childhood. I can't believe that the mother threw out my entire collection of Mary Kate and Ashley and Sweet Valley works. I hope the mother doesn't decided to clean out my bookshelf again now. Maybe I should find more Two of a Kind books. Then I can collect them and let any future daughters of mine read it. PLUS, I've finally managed to get my hands on The Complete Adventures of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! That book is my absolute favourite out of all of Roald Dahl's books. Along with The Witches and Matilda.


Now the main point is that I'm looking for more Jodi Picoult and Dan Brown worthy books to keep me on edge. I mean, there are so many crime and mystery and thriller novels, but the ones I pick up don't have the same writing style that Jodi and Dan portrays. I don't feel the salience of the dialogue and the plot. I need more books to read. Sure I could read books on psychology, but fictionism transports me to another world and distracts me from reality.


I don't have the patience of classics, because everything's a drag. Little Women is still sitting on my shelf, and the first chapter was so draggy with old Engish dialogue, it wasn't fun after a while. I've got the complete works of the Lord of the Rings. But I gave up after one or two chapters because it was moving too slowly. Does it count that I worship Aragorn?


Had intended to go book hunting to look for new Jodi and Dan worthy distractions, yet developed a very bad case of fever and tonsilitis in the middle of the night. I needed two blankets to keep me warm, and that was with the air-conditioner turned off. I could barely swallow anything due to my abnormally inflammed tonsils and almost cried in the morning because I thought I might not be able to eat my new Cranberry Almond cereal. Post's does wonderful wholegrain cereal, I must say. I left home without eating breakfast and, due to a fever-induced migraine, began the somewhat tiring and throbbing trek toward the 24 Hour Clinic at the marketplace. A 10 minute walk had never felt so long before.

I love books with excellent dialogue and with a plot that thrills me to the very dust of my bones and make me feel as though I were living the experiences the characters go through. I wish for a machine that would be able to tell me which books are Jodi and Dan worthy so I don't have to waste my time browsing through the books and ending up feeling disappointed.


Recommendations, anyone?



"Books are a hard-bound drug with no danger of an overdose. I am the happy victim of books"



- Karl Lagerfeld

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.