Thursday, May 30, 2013

So my question is, if we're constantly being told that we shouldn't live according to the rules that society has set, then why is it then society is still abiding by these sets of rules when we're clearly told we need to move forward in a different direction?

I was on my way to the library to return a couple of overdue books (whoops) and since the library was at the mall - a 10 minute bus ride, i simply threw on my shorts and a red tube top and boarded the bus. And there is was. One by one. 5 out of 10 people in that bus staring me up at my bare naked shoulders as I walked past them. They looked away when I made eye contact with them, but I could feel their gaze burning on my naked shoulders. In my mind, I knew that they were immediately branding me as one godless woman trying to dress to impress, even if it was just a simple trip to the library. 

In Singapore, you wear something revealing like a tube top and you're branded a godless slut. So my question is: why. Why should I be forced to conform to the expectations of what common ordinary people like that ridiculous bitch of that old woman with her groceries believe decent dressing should be?  But more importantly, why does dressing in a more revealing manner make me an attention-seeking whore in the eyes of the common Asian here in Singapore? After all, are we not a secular modernized state? Are we not allowed to dress freely? Then why are we still indirectly bowing to the pressure traditional conventional values and trying to impress a bunch of ancient ninnies? 

My feelings are the same about religion. Like sex. If I discuss orgasms, masturbation and foreplay to a Christian, am I considered a soulless woman destined to go to Hell? Of course not all Christians/Catholics?Muslims/Hindus would curse me, but if a deeply religious individual were involved, am I branded a whore? What right does he have to impose this own values and beliefs on me and judge me for my own beliefs? Do I judge them for deeply religious people about such conventional traditional values and mores? Yes, I do. 

Yes, I openly discuss sex. 
Yes, I am pro-choice
Yes, I support the use of contraception. 
Yes, I support homosexuality. 
No, I do not believe in the hijab. 
No, I do not believe in female circumcision. 

But why can I not let me own opinions be heard? Because the government thinks I'm going to offend the Christians and Catholics and Muslims here? Is the government putting their needs against the needs of the atheists? If so, isn't it time for us to redefine secularism and modernity? If we're going to be a modern, urbanized state, bent on attracting foreign talent from the West, shouldn't the government be more liberal about these issues? Are you telling me that all foreign talent from the West entering Singapore are straight? 

Please. 

Singapore is a paradoxical state. We claim to be modern, but we cling on to traditional prehistoric beliefs. We want to increase our population size and encourage local women here to have more children, but the government desperately clings on to the desire for a conventional family nucleus without realizing that as we step into the future, we are beginning to challenge and abandon these traditional nuclei and opting for various alternatives. Adoption / single parenthood / sperm donation / cohabitation. Yet individuals who adopt these alternative lifestyles are shunned by the government. 

It's a terrible planet. 

And what about the issue on love, and relationships? I'm sorry, but I cringe at us Singaporeans engaging in PDA because I'm just racist toward my own people. I'm a hypocrite. I condemn Singaporeans who engage in PDA but I'm perfectly fine when I see Caucasians sucking tongue. 

The truth is, I don't know what I feel about relationships. Love. I've never been in a relationship, but I basically want to die laughing when I hear of couples who've been together for only a short period of time and saying they love each other. Yeah. Okay. Look I'm a cynic. I think that love can fuck with your head sometimes. I mean I don't want to become one of the girls going round telling the world every single thing she does with her boyfriend every single day when there are more important things to talk about, like poverty, capitalism and why there isn't a Sex and the City 3. 

M and I were talking last Saturday and we were trying to console ourselves whenever we think of girls with relationship problems coming to us single gals and we be Girl, why you telling me this? I can't give you any practical advice. Go bother a shrink with your problems! Look, I don't need a guy, but it baffles me why most of my girl friends have had boyfriends, or have been dating, or actually have been asked out by boys, when I have not. Am I that physically repugnant? Is it because I'm not the demure soft-spoken dewy girl that people think guys want? Well, excuse me if I'm vocal about my own opinions but I cannot be with a man who suppress my voice.

God. You know what. In my completely hormonal state, I'm hating every girl with a boyfriend out there right now. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.